Founded in 1937 by Mr Herbert J Mateer
The Convention has continued without a break as an annual event ever since. In 2020, in it’s 84th year, the original purpose of the Convention is as valid today as it was when it first began – to promote and support world mission. With meetings held over eight days, it is an event of considerable significance in the missionary life of Northern Ireland. It is interdenominational, international and evangelical. It’s basis of doctrine is that of Global Connections, the UK network for mission agencies across the world.
Speakers from across the world who reflect the broad spectrum of world mission are invited to take part. National representatives are included as often as possible. Mornings are given over to a world prayer focus followed by Bible Reading sessions on a missions related theme, led by keynote speakers. Local mission representatives also take part in the evening meetings along with young people who have been involved on short–term overseas assignments. A highly informative mission resources exhibition runs alongside the Convention meetings each year, organised by the Northern Ireland Missionary Secretaries Fellowship. At the exhibition, local mission representatives provide updates on the work of their mission, as well as offering advice on how you can personally become involved.
Financial support for mission is a vital element of the convention. We thank God that since 1937 millions of pounds have been donated through the Convention for missionary work.
Statement of Faith
BANGOR WORLDWIDE MISSIONARY CONVENTION
STATEMENT OF FAITH
Evangelical Christians accept the revelation of the triune God given in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments and confess the historic faith of the Gospel therein set forth. They are assert doctrines which they regard as crucial to the understanding of the faith and which should issue in mutual love, practical Christian service and evangelistic concern.
1. The sovereignty and grace of God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit in creation, providence, revelation, redemption and final judgement.
2. The divine inspiration of the Holy scripture and its consequent entire trustworthiness and supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
3. The universal sinfulness and guilt of fallen man, making him subject to God’s wrath and condemnation.
4. The substitutionary sacrifice of the incarnate Son of God as the sole and all-sufficient ground of redemption from the guilt and power of sin and from its eternal consequences.
5. The justification of the sinner solely by the grace of God through faith in Christ crucified and risen from the dead.
6. The illuminating, regenerating, indwelling and sanctifying work of God the Holy Spirit.
7. The priesthood of all believers, who form the universal Church, the Body of which Christ is the Head and which is committee by His command to the proclamation of the Gospel throughout the world.
8. The expectation of the personal, visible return of the Lord Jesus Christ in power and glory.
Make a World of DifferenceMake a Donation
Help in the work of missions world wide